Movement

Movement

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

what moves you...


i was reading some of the blogs that i really enjoy and read a great post by flounder and it got me thinking about how we can be moved so much by movies, books, tv and music.

barry used the movie field of dreams which is such an awesome movie and it always moves me to tears. i have seen it's a wonderful life a gazillon times, like most of us, yet it causes puddles each and every time. i think tom cruise is an idiot and a brainwashed freak, but i like jerry mcguire for it's dynamics between jerry and rod and how it changes as we travel through the movie. i liked the movie american president for the "character" that president andy had as a person (i did not agree with the political position, but that is another post).

how about music? i can't help but travel back in time with any number of different songs. every time i hear elton john sing crocodile rock it reminds me of laying behind the driver seat of our van as we traveled from california to florida to visit some friends. i hear a song on the radio and i am reminded of the concert i attended to see that band. or a song can take you back to the first girl you kissed or the first time you did a number of things. or it can take you anywhere or remind you of anyone from your past. i love to travel there. today, i still have songs that move me, because they say something or transport me to another place.

there are so many things that touch us as human beings. we love, we hate, we smile, we cry, we remember, we forget. we are so complex and diverse. what i want to know is what moves you? what movie makes you laugh and remember good times or takes you back to better days or causes you to cry, be it happy or sad? what songs takes you back to that "first love" or that famous road trip with your friends?

11 comments:

mgc said...

@@,
i do remember mr. bojangles. that was such a good movie.

you haven't seen titanic to the end? no frozen jack? my kids watched it the other day and at the end (old) rose throws a necklace into the sea and my daughters boyfriend made some stupid boy comment about how much that was worth. i explained to him that she did that because that was were her heart had been that her memories of love and life were at the bottom of the sea. my daughter smiled at me and hit her boyfriend for being dumb.

i've already been to rw's for tissue a few times.

flounder said...

There is a song by Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton called When I Get Where I'm Going, and the last few lines bring me to tears nearly every time. Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw is another one that gets me.

mgc said...

flounder,
i don't know the brad/dolly song, but i have heard the tim mcgraw song. i never realized that his father was tug mcgraw. i don't tune into country too much, only when i am riding with my wife because she likes country. many country songs have super meanings.

Tumbleweed said...

Are you a girl? lol, okay just fuckin with ya!!

mgc said...

ouch weed! my wife has no intentions of being with another woman, so i am going to go out on a limb (penis) and suggest that i am a male. i'm just good with my manhood and i like the taste of my salty tears *sticks tongue out* so take that!

RW-(the original) said...

Crocodile freakin' Rock???? Did Caligator have something to do with that one?

See if you're going to have this walk down memory lane showing this tender California side (and at this point I have to echo tumbleweed) you could just pretend and say "Your Song" or suck up to Ashburnite and say "Goodbye Norma Jean."

@@, Titanic was excellent from start to finish.

Back to mgc, you couldn't have tossed the original Brian's Song in here somewhere?

OK I'm done bitchng!

Mackenzie said...

The Movie Pee Wee's Big Adventure after he passes out from riding the bull. It goes a little something like this:

Texan: What's your name?
Pee-wee: I don't remember.
Texan: Where are you from?
Pee-wee: I don't remember.
Texan: Do you remember anything?
Pee-wee: I remember... the Alamo.

That's fucking funny.

I also know every word to Billy Madison.

I find humor in everything or at least I try to. If a movie is sad I'm probably going to cry. I cry at commercials sometimes. I'm such a wuss.

mgc said...

rw - i am speechless! sucking on ash probably would not be painful!

and no caligator had nothing to do with my walk down memory lane. it is flounders fault. i don't recall any songs about flounders. besides, it is too hot for caligator to do much but bask in the sun and ask for margaritas on an hourly basis.

bv - i cried when pee wee got his bike back.

egan said...

Music is really great for "timestamping" different eras of our life.

~d said...

I LOVE MUSIC!
I also love the ending to Cool Runnings. I cry EVERY TIME I SEE IT.
I think I am the only one who 'likes' that movie, too.

Man, though-music is capable of moving my entire being.

Kirsten said...

hey...sorry about being among the missing...long story, short, lightning did me in...
anyways...sooo many songs move me...anything by AC/DC brings me backkkkk in time...getting stoned with my best friend, listening to the "record", and writing down every lyric to the album back in black...LMAO... ...I Hope You Dance, for my "special" little nephew...When I See You Smile (bad english) for my oldest child..Through The Years(Kenny Rogers) for my and the hubby...You'll Always Be My Baby, Mariah Carey for my son...and my youngest, and Butterfly Kisses for my youngest...and I could go on and on...lol..anyways...great post..
Take care
:)Just me